Sunday 21 August 2011

Sad seagulls



In Italy in 1972 had a great commercial success a piece on a vinyl 45 r.p.m : the performer was il Conte Federico Monti Arduini, whose art name was Il guardiano del faro (The lighthouse keeper), the title of the piece was Il gabbiano infelice (The sad seagull). Was the first commercial piece played on a synthesizer (was the glorious Moog) and the first disc of electronic music I had in my home.
Only later I discover the melody of Il gabbiano infelice was Amazing Grace.

I lost this old disc but I remember clearly the vinyl's scratch and the amazing new sound of the Moog.
Listening at the Sarah's scraping sampling and former lighthouse keeper Dave Mapp's recorded voice immediately I remembered all these things: the rotating vinyl scratch, the old melody, the new electronic sound, the lighthouse and its keeper.

I have simply overlaid the full Sarah Nielsen sampling, 3 (of 4) phrases of the original recording of Il gabbiano infelice and Dave's recorded voice, mixing the levels, giving a 45 rpm rotation at Sarah scratching sounds and filtering Dave's voice with a "round close stones space like".

The title of this sample is Sad Seagulls.

G.G. August 10th, 2011

ASCOLTA Sad seagulls

No comments:

Post a Comment